In their first encounter 23 years ago, Ken Shamrock felt he got robbed against Royce Gracie. It appeared to be a repeat of history all over again Friday night, as Shamrock lost to Gracie by TKO in the first round at Bellator 149 in Houston.
Gracie earned his first TKO win with two minutes, 38 seconds remaining in the first round, but it came with controversy. When the replay aired, it appeared Gracie kneed Shamrock below the belt, which gave Gracie the edge to take him to the ground and end the fight.
Shamrock went for a knee to the midsection, but it did not faze Gracie. The referee, looking directly at the action, did not make the call, via Trevor Robb of the Edmonton Sun:
— Trevor Robb (@SunTrevorRobb) February 20, 2016
Game Fight Recap
- Event: Bellator 149: Shamrock vs Gracie
- Date: February 20, 2016 – Pacific Time
- Where: Toyota Center, Houston, Texas, USA
- Division: light heavyweight (205 lbs, 93 kg)
- Result: Royce Gracie def. Ken Shamrock (TKO, round 1)